GILDA JOYCE: THE BONES OF THE HOLY
When my mom announced her engagement to a man from St. Augustine, Florida, I was appalled. I hadn’t even given him the "Joyce Family Application" yet!
But now that the wedding preparations are getting underway, I have much bigger concerns. Why is my mom acting so weird? And why do I keep seeing the ghost of a bride walking around the city?
With only a few short days before Mom says "I do," I know this much for sure: it's going to take every ounce of my sleuthing skill and psychic savvy to solve this one!
Packing List for the Reluctant Southern Belle:
- Fancy hat with wide brim and plume
- Historic “Southern Belle” Halloween costume: 19th-century-style skirt with petticoats, corseted bodice, and wig with ringlets
- Makeup (because a true Southern belle wouldn’t be caught dead without lipstick)
- Map of St. Augustine, Florida
- Mosquito netting for bed
- “Gator-B-Gone” perfume (haha)
- Dainty Confederate-flag handkerchief (just kidding)
- Investigation tools including flashlight
- Guidebooks: Florida Ghost Stories and Haunted Houses of the South.
- Southern belle handbooks, including: The Tender Magnolia: a Primer for Young Ladies of the Sunshine State; The Devil Is in the Details: A Handbook for the Wannabe Southern Belle; Becoming a Southern Belle: A Guide for the Northerner; and Southern Weddings
- Ugly bridesmaid dress for participation in wedding ceremony
- Dyed-to-match shoes to wear with hideous bridesmaid dress
- Tiara (why not?)
- My typewriter (because my baby comes with me when I travel!)